Thursday, July 31, 2008

blankets

It would seem that I am slightly blanket obsessed. My first real sewing project was my t-shirt blanket after college, and I am now working on my third knit blanket. The first of course, was the most difficult, but which I made for my sister and will always be quite proud of. I found the pattern in Knit it!, a magazine that I really enjoyed but have yet to see since that issue last spring. In any case, the blanket came out beautifully despite it's rather small size. A lap blanket I like to call it. I made it in 5 strips and I think it came out slightly larger than the 30x42 inches it was supposed to be thanks to different yarn and larger needles.


The second was a really easy stockinette stitch blanket on size 17 needles which went nice and quick. That was a lion brand pattern found here. It was all using two strands of yarn to give it that cool look and it was made in three 12 inch strips.



And now I am working on my large patchwork-like blanket out of 7x9 rectangles with I think 12 different colors and around 17 different stitch patterns. So far I am done 14 blocks, but it has become a rather low priority on my project list since it is not really for anyone else and I have no deadline or anything. I would also like to add that the other two knit blankets were childs size making them that little bit easier. I guess we'll see if my current blanket makes it all the way to its intended 49x63 inch size. I suppose it is not that I am blanket obsessed, it is more that I like to make useful things that are not sweaters. And really, one can only make so many scarves :)

No comments:

Post a Comment