Don't die of shock or anything, but I actually did finish two quilts recently and I am posting about them :) I finally gave up waiting for the sun though since, no lie, it has been almost a week without more than a glimpse of the sun, so the pictures are not my favorite, but oh well. I am thinking of sending this off to be loved by a sweet new baby, so I need it taken care of.
This is the dogwood blossom pattern from the penny sampler class. I did already talk about the top what feels like ages ago, but it was my first sketch stitch applique project, using two different methods to turn under the raw edges. I am still not very good at either of them, but I think sketch stitching and I will be good friends.
Anyway, I got it in my head that it needed to be backed in minky, so I found some of that and went to put it together and realized that it was showing through some of the lighter fabrics on the front. So, after much consideration, I decided to just put a layer of white flannel between them. Part of the reason I didn't want batting (aside from how ridiculously thick that would have been) was that I wanted pretty sparse quilting. I only stitched on either side of each seam line, so it is super, super snuggly.
I did zig-zag the edges before I put the binding on to stop the shedding of the fabric and make it easier, which it did. The binding is whatever pink/brown binding scraps I had lying around that I could make work, so it isn't ideal, but I think I like it. It is just lovely now that it is all finished, all soft and wonderful. I kinda want to keep it, but I think it would be much better for a northern baby. Perfect for making a soft place to lay on the floor or snuggling in a stroller I would say. Hopefully I will get it on it's way soon.
In other news, I am caught up on my penny sampler blocks for a few minutes, so I am going to try and get some pictures of those soon as well.