Okay, first of all, I'm just going to go ahead and say it: mug rug sounds dirty.
Now that we got that out of the way, they are apparently all the rage haha. When I was trying to figure out 1. what to do with my scraps from my little folks quilt and 2. what to make for a friend who was promised something crafty, I thought a little mug rug would be perfect. It would use scraps and give me a nice quilt sandwich to practice my quilting on for the big one. Consequently, I made it a square, roughly 9" I believe, and just did a slightly smaller version of the log cabin blocks from the quilt. She happens to drink a lot of coffee and this is just the perfect size for a mug and a scone (or something equally delicious). It is double sided because, well why not?
It was a little difficult trying to line up the seams front and back, but I made it work. I tried some straight line quilting in each of the logs and a free motion flower thing in the center. It worked alright, the flower came out better than I expected, but the lines were a bit of a problem since the front and back were going different directions....I didn't think that through when I made them. It turned out I didn't like the detached lines much anyway and settled on a different quilting design for the big quilt, but it was good to find it out this way. I really loved quilting the voile actually, but more gushing on that when the big one is done. I am so close! Hopefully in the next couple days it will be finished being bound and get washed and ready for some couch snuggling.