Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Cosmic Burst

Hey guys! I finally found some time to sit down and post. It was a little crazy this weekend and I am just beat. Still. Good thing vacation is coming up! It was a fun weekend though, with a full house of guests. I didn't get to sew much, but I did manage to finish the binding up on my Cosmic Burst quilt.

This quilt-along started a couple of weeks ago over at Distant Pickles. I tried not to get sucked in, but I couldn't help myself. Aside from the back/binding, I only used fabrics I had on hand. I had to place the fabrics based on the amounts I had. I only had fat quarters of each of the solids so there weren't too many places they could go. And I didn't have enough of any coordinating solid to use for the background so I used the larger floral print. I really like the way it turned out though. It is so springy and calming. I was a bit worried about the two floral fabrics blending together, but I think with the help of the quilting, they are working just fine together.



The back is a stripe from Joann's; to make it a bit more interesting, I cut squares and rotated them. Also, it saved me from having to line up the stripes at the seam :) The binding is a gray houndstooth that I love. I think it frames it beautifully and the gray is just the right touch to go with all the blue/yellow/green. I did very minimal quilting on this one. I had wanted to follow Julie's lead and just quilt in the backgrounds, but I had to tweak it a little so that I had some quilting in the center square. So I started with a giant X and the traced the burst shapes around. It got a little weird in some spots since I was actually echoing the seams and not stitching in the ditch, but I didn't think about that until I was already on my way so I just made the best of it.



Anyway, I really like this and how it ended up. Definitely a fun pattern and if you are looking for a fairly small quilt (this one is 50" although she also has directions for a 70" too), I definitely recommend this one. Of course I don't actually know what I am going to do with this one, but that's okay.



Yeah, so now it is back to sewing triangles for me! I really want at least this top done in the next....10 days. So I need to get busy on that....I can't wait until I am done these little suckers. I'll be back tomorrow with the wip list!

1 comment: