Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Transmute: the beginning

Today is the day, my friends! Today, the summer sweater knit along begins over at Very Shannon and I am taking this opportunity to jump in and start my very first {adult} sweater! I have been waiting for this moment all year. No lie. The kal runs from today until september 24, and while I am not sure I will have a finished sweater by then, I am going to give it my best shot and see what I can do. With any luck, I will at least end up with a garment that fits at some point.



After much deliberation, I have decided to make transmute, by melanie berg. I actually bought a plucky yarn kit for this a few months ago, but wanted to use the main color yarn for a different sweater. I would have started with that, but I thought I had better start out with some less fancy yarn in case I totally suck and can't do this. So a trial run it is! I am using knit picks capretta yarn, which is a cashmere blend and feels quite nice. I am using harbor as the main color, and platinum as the accent stripe.  As of right now, the only modification I am planning is 3/4 length sleeves since I know I will be more likely to wear that.



I already made and blocked my gauge swatch and have my needles ready to go. Now I just need those pesky kids to give me the time to work on it. I think until I really get going and get the hang of it, this is going to require some concentration, so I don't know how much time I will actually get to work on it. I am so nervous and excited! I keep telling myself that if I can make a sock, I can make a sweater, but really I have no idea what I am doing or how this is actually supposed to come together. So here's hoping that I get something to wear and this doesn't go terribly wrong! So you can expect some periodic updates, and if, in the end, I have a lovely sweater to wear, be warned that there will be no end to my excitement :)

No comments:

Post a Comment