Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Ice cream neck warmer

Some time in the past few weeks, I don't even know precisely when, tragedy struck. I lost my scarf. In the middle of winter. In Binghamton. Um, bad times. Cold weather tends to make me want to knit anyway, but I didn't feel like making a whole replacement scarf, so this time, I made a neck warmer. Have you seen these? Because I am gathering they are all the rage. I figured it would be quick to make and cut down on the possibility of my child strangling me by pulling on a scarf.

I found the pattern in the book Knit2Together, which my Mother-in-law gave me for christmas. It seemed simple enough and after noting the bulky yarn used in the pattern (an insanely expensive cashmere in fact) I went looking through my pile of leftover yarn. It turns out I had some leftover from the knit baby blanket I made last year that is a cotton/acrylic blend and is super soft and wonderful. I had no idea how much of it I had left, but I picked the colors I liked best together and went to town. It really does remind me of ice cream or something. I love the dusty pink and cream together and the gray stripe in the middle just makes it pop. It is a simple feather and fan pattern although the lacy-ness is not totally apparent, but I guess that's good for keeping the cold out more. And it used just the right amount of yarn since I now have just little tiny balls left that I might make some flowers out of or something. It worked up really quickly, as in a bit of time 2 days in a row and it was finished which is good since I have so little time these days.

I actually think I have just enough of the other two colors to make another one if I so desire, but for now one will do. I love the satisfaction of using yarn that has been sitting around without purpose :) I think I have a few other projects, one needs new pretty yarn and the others use what I already have. Someday I'll get it all done. Next up is to show you my big knitting project. Oh, the suspense! And maybe sometime soon I'll finish something sitting on my sewing table.

No comments:

Post a Comment