Thursday, August 28, 2014

necessary, very necessary

I wish that I didn't always feel like I was on a search for the *perfect* bag/wallet. It seems like a search that will never end, and even now that I can make my own, I find myself always searching and never finding the exact thing that I apparently am looking for. Honestly, I'm not even sure what it is that I am looking for at this point. Not too big, not too small; not too stiff, not to slouchy; just the right strap length, versatile enough to go out or to the park.....the list goes on and it may be an impossible task. Still, I keep looking and trying things. I am already plotting a new diaper bag/tote, possibly even another super tote since while I love mine, it is pretty slouchy and not sturdy enough. So I am thinking of trying that again with a little more body.

But I have gotten away from myself. The point here, is that I am trying a new wallet/clutch pattern and I have high hopes! I tend to use a small clutch that holds all my necessary items and that I can throw in a bigger bag when I need to. My previous wallet/clutch is the have it all wallet that I made last year. It has gotten really good use and I have loved it so much. My main problem has been that it kind of flings open when I unsnap it and I have been increasingly worried about things falling out. Enter the necessary clutch wallet. You may have seen the one that I made for my sister recently, which ended up being my test version, and here is the one I made for myself.





I used a twist lock for this one, for the first time, and I absolutely love the professional finish it gives. I got myself some special gnome pants lawn for the outer. I was hesitant about the lawn, but figured with some good interfacing it would be fine. It is fine, in fact it worked out great, but it must be said that this is not a light, smooth voile like the Anna Maria Horner/Amy Butler/ Joel Dewberry voiles that have been out for a while, which is what I was expecting. It is a bit heavier and not quite as soft and is only 44" wide. Had I bought it for something other than a bag, like clothes, I would have been really disappointed actually. But for this, perfect. I used some amazing cotton and steel basics inside plus a nice deep pink kona cotton (I forget which). The zipper is one I ripped off a bag that was in the donate pile.





I used decor bond on the outer pieces and shape flex 101 on the lining pieces and that seems to have given good strength. It is a really good pattern that comes together really nicely. I added a piece of ribbon with a d-ring on the side for a wristlet strap, so I am hoping that holds up to wear and tear. It fits everything I need an then some just beautifully. I love when they so nicely fit my phone and chapstick, and I can just clip my keys to the wristlet strap, and voila, it holds everything.


So that is the story of my new clutch. I will continue searching for the perfect bag to go with it, but I suspect a new super tote with a sturdier outside and different inside pockets will be just the thing :) When I get around to it, that is.....



No comments:

Post a Comment