Thursday, August 26, 2010

Burp Cloths

You'll never guess what I just did! I sewed!! The little lady has been napping for a bit so I took advantage of some things I had cut out and went to town :) This gives me hope. For now we are just taking each day as it comes, but if I can do this one or two days a week I'll be happy and I'm sure eventually there will be more routine to it.

Anyway, clearly, this post is not about that; it is about burp cloths. Do you believe that not one person gave me any burp cloths before the baby was born? I thought it was odd, but I was okay with it because, let's face it, I wanted to make some of my own. Which turned out to be a good decision since, and I don't know if you know this or not, most of the ones in the store suck and liquid goes right through. Um, worthless. I also think that a burp cloth should have a groove for the neck and many of them don't. So, what did I do? I looked some up online to figure out dimensions, got a layer of flannel, a layer of cotton batting, and a layer of white muslin and cut it to a 10" x 18" rectangle, and got a CD out to round the corners and put a neck space in. Oddly enough, perfect neck size (it also fits nicely around baby's neck in a pinch)! I sewed them right sides together, flipped them, topstitched around and added some lines to divide it in thirds-- good for folding and to keep the batting from going crazy in the wash. They work beautifully, and the husband loves them too! I made 6, and while the flimsy carter's burp cloths are good for wiping faces (we've since gotten a pack as a gift), these are much more absorbent for the actual burping and consequent spit up.


So there you have it. Simple. Functional. Cute. And now I think I hear naptime ending....

No comments:

Post a Comment