Friday, June 7, 2013

roller skate dress

I finally broke down last week and bought my first Oliver + S pattern for my little lady; the roller skate dress. I debated for a long time because, let's be honest, those patterns are expensive. But, it was exactly the style I was looking for and has both a dress and a tunic option, so I thought I'd give it a go. I ordered the digital version for some instant gratification which was nice.



This dress is undeniably cute and has a very professional finished look thanks to the full lining. It is a pretty simple style and the instructions were really easy to follow. I chose option A since even though I had been planning a tunic, a dress was requested. I used a lovely Amy Butler fabric I picked up and I am hoping I have enough to make an itty baby skirt too :) The lining is a red gingham I've had laying around for ages and I love them together. I went with a 3T which she needs in length but is really too skinny for, but it seems to fit fine.




Hopefully she'll wear it a lot and she has already requested a tunic. I am feeling pretty good about it since she wore it for the rest of the day after I showed it to her. I had to steal it from the laundry to get a shot of the lining ;)  All in all, I'm not sure I will be paying for many more of these patterns. They are certainly cute, easy to follow and come out well, but I also think that paying around $15 for a pattern is a bit much.

So that's one thing off my exceptionally long list. I am working through some of the other things while I wait for some fabric to arrive. Hopefully this weekend will be pretty productive which would be helpful. I am just so stinking slow these days! Anyway, have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. What an adorable dress! I have that same inner struggle - I hate paying a ton for the pattern, but sometimes you find exactly what you're looking for and it feels worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so cute! I love it but man, $15 is a lot! There are so many cute and even free patterns around that I'd see your struggle here but she loves it and you got to pick the awesome fabric and heaven knows a dress of that quality in the store would run you a bunch more than that. Good work!

    ReplyDelete