Tuesday, March 25, 2014

a small {person} summer wardrobe: part I

It's been pretty quiet around these parts lately, but I am here to tell you that does not mean I haven't been busy. Life is just a lot right now and I tend to pick sewing over blogging about it. Consequently, I have an entire summer wardrobe for my biggest little to show. I even made enough pieces that I need to break it up a bit! I actually did an inventory of what she had and figure out what she needed and we picked out fabric and patterns together. It was fun and I hope she wants to keep doing it for a while yet. 

Starting off we have tops and dresses! I started off with the oliver + S roller skate dress/tunic pattern I bought last year. I made another dress and a tunic. The dress is a voile fabric I got at fabric.com a while ago and the tunic is a lightweight plaid (with purple sparkle, people, sparkle!) I have been hoarding because I love it. Both are lined with a lightweight white cotton. I stuck with the 3T that I made her last spring since it still fits well, but the tunic is a bit short and more shirtish I think, so I fear she will outgrow it sooner than I'd like.

I also made the go to shift dress, from a pattern pack I bought a while ago. It is super cute and so summery in this voile, but again, a bit short and I think she'll need something under it. I did love the yellow bias tape for the armholes and she picked a nice yellow button.  The only downside is how quickly it wrinkles.

The paper fan dress that anna maria horner designed has been on my list for a while too, and it is so cute! I love it so much! I don't even know what else to say. It is a great pattern and the little picked out the butterflies and we decided the pink cats were perfect. Red buttons are just the icing on the cake.

For this round I also broke out my Making Children's Clothes book for a few patterns. One was the toddler dress which is pretty much a pillowcase dress with a short lining. It came together easily but for some reason it doesn't bunch and lay very nicely. Maybe it's the ribbon I used instead of making a fabric tie, I don't know. But hopefully it will be wearable. It also is a bit short since it is a one size toddler pattern.

The smock top was another one I tried from this book. It is super cute but it is huge. I am going to wash it and see what happens, but I could easily take in at least an inch on each side. And wow those straps look uneven, but I swear they aren't really haha!

That takes care of the dresses and tops. Next up will be pjs and bottoms! Also, and unrelated, I am really super close to finished the crochet squares. I can't wait to put them together and share the finished afghan. And now that I have broken things up with some reasonably fast finishes, I really need to get back to some quilts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment