Monday, February 18, 2013

swooning for a floor pillow

So, it's Monday. On the plus side, it is warmer than the weekend weather. Other than that, just Monday. Also, tragedy struck this weekend when my iron up and died. I don't know what happened, the light just didn't come on when I plugged it in the other day. It was so sad, and I did get it to work for a bit, but now it seems I need a new one, so I am waiting on that.

Before said tragedy though, I finished the swoon block floor pillow for the little one. She loves it and has a great time throwing it onto the floor and then throwing herself on top of it. Ahh the good life. This was pretty easy once I decided on fabric. It was hard since I wanted to avoid white since, ya know, floor pillow. And I knew I wanted that green in there because it's her favorite color, but after that I was stumped. In the end I am happy with my choices though and she seems to really like it. I picked solid gray for the back since it will theorectially show dirt less, and a gray/white herringbone for the binding, which I love. I was thisclose to sewing the binding down by hand when I realized that with the amount of wear and tear this is likely to take, that was a terrible idea. So I machine sewed it and it looks pretty good. The lines blend in on the front since I did a pretty dense grid for the quilting.




The quilting was the other thing I debated for a while. I wanted to just outline the star initially but somehow got it into my head that a tiny grid would be the way to go. I couldn't ignore it so I went with it and it was pretty intense. I am really really proud of it though. Thanks to my super sweet walking foot, I have no puckers. None at all, which I consider totally insane! I love the way it looks and the texture it gives.



So that's that. I don't know why I put it off for so long, but I am glad that I finally did it. I will probably make her another one eventually, but I already had this pillow form, so it will be enough for now. Now I have to go figure out what I can get done that doesn't require my iron. The answer, unfortunately, is not pony club blocks, which is what I was setting out to do when the tragedy struck. That's alright, all will be right in the world soon enough :) Maybe this will give me the chance to baste some hexies, or even knit some honey cowl!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, the joys of being teensy and tiny. I'm just imagining how much fun it used to be to fool around with pillows like that.

    Go and show those hexies and knitting needles where it's at - sound like good enough aside projects to me. Actually, I think the honey cowl's been on my knitting list since the second to last Christmas.. hmm, after the move?

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this pillow! Now I want to make one :) I think this is adorable!

    ReplyDelete