Monday, March 11, 2013

marcelle medallion: a top

Well, it took me longer than I expected, but my marcelle medallion top is finished!! And boy oh boy am I in love! So far it is on of my top contenders for favorite quilt ever. I wish the pictures did it justice.

I followed the pattern exactly, I just didn't add the final border. It is a bit small - only about 55" square, but I think it will look so good with a nice dark gray binding next to those plus signs! I also made it much less scrappy because I wanted a much calmer quilt. My only rule was no black, which I stuck to entirely until that bit of flea market fancy in the corners of the last border, and I think that kept it nice and soft. I used some of my favorite fabrics (mermaids!! whales!!!) and I just love it so much! I believe I am calling this a quilt for the new baby, but let's be honest, it's really for me :)






Now I am trying to decide whether I am crazy enough to hand quilt it. I just can't get some hand quilted concentric circles out of my head! Nevermind that I have never hand quilted anything and that it would probably take me forever. I am also considering backing it in voile, but I'm not sure I have enough, so we'll see. I did consider just hanging it on the wall since I love it so much.....I'm still not ruling that out entirely ;) In any case, this now must be placed on hold while I prepare for Sew South (next week!!!!) and work on a few other things. Here's hoping for a happy productive week!


5 comments:

  1. Oooh, yes, hand quilt it. That would make it even more yours! You could always machine quilt a few stitches in the ditch for a start/foundation/time saver. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassie, I have been watching all of the marcelle medallion quilt tops being made lately and I have to tell you, so far yours is my fav. I've seen so many different color combinations and borders, but yours is just so happy and well put together! I really love it, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Cow - this turned out beautifully! You are a brave soul to hand quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous!!!
    However you finish this quilt it will be scrumptious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous!!!
    However you finish this quilt it will be scrumptious!!!

    ReplyDelete