Wednesday, June 4, 2014

more tanks

Not too long ago, I posted about the tiny pocket tank from grainline studios that I made. It is really a great pattern and it is so nice to have a solid basic pattern like this. For the record, I live in tank tops. Like, all year. I wear them probably more than anything, so it only makes sense that I figure out how to make some myself that I love. After my first test version, I made 2 more.


The first is a super soft voile. Now to be honest, I had been in love with this print and was super excited about it, but I was very disappointed when I got it and it was only 44" wide so I had to get another yard. I was invested at that point though, so I got the other yard and carried on. I decided to line this with a super soft white voile too so it wouldn't be so sheer but would still be light and airy. I just treated the two as one and went about my business. I did french seams again on this one and I love it. It is super comfy and good for a hot day, but will also be cute with a sweater. It does wrinkle a bit, but I'm okay with that.




For the second, I wanted to try it with a knit fabric. I knew I was going to need to alter it a bit but instead of going down a size, I decided to use the same size I had cut and alter from there. I started by trimming off between 1/2" and 1" on each side of the back, tapering up to the armpit. I used the serger on this one for all the seams and when I tried it on, I ended up taking off another probably 2" from each side to bring it in enough for the knit fabric. I had been saving this stripe fabric for years. It is so soft and lovely and I want to wear it all.the.time. I went with the bias tape on all the edges again and it was perfect. If I could somehow manage to have this clean every day, I might just wear it that often.





Once I find some more super awesome knits that I want to live in, I might make a couple more of these. But I also have some t-shirts to try out at some point, so we'll see. I have a couple more articles of clothing to share and by then I really hope I have a quilt to share. My pony club quilt is quite close to finished and I'll be honest, I love it so much more than I thought I would! Hopefully that love and the desire to have it on my bed will help me push through the binding in the next few days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment