Friday, May 20, 2011

makeup bag

Part III of the graduation gifts!

A makeup bag was requested. Apparently her new makeup doesn't all fit in her old one so she asked me to make a bigger one. And bigger it is! The dimensions of her old one were 9 x 3.5 x 4 or something like that and this is roughly 9 x 5 x 5. The fabric is an alexander henry print and the lining is an acrylic coated fabric from Ikea. It is supposed to be safer than vinyl (which I believe since it doesn't smell like it will kill you) and is still waterproof. I got it as a spill mat for under the high chair and now am using the leftovers for smaller things. I even remembered to switch to polyester thread so moisture won't wick through the stitches (like it does with my changing pad) so it should really be waterproof.

I found a tutorial here that I used and just cut my fabric 16" instead of 14" since that was the size zipper I had. I actually sewed the zipper slightly differently since I liked the way the pattern had me do it for the zip clutch, but it probably didn't make a huge difference. My corners are not perfect an I think it could have used a pull tab on the other end too, but overall I like it and I think it came out well. I was told next time to make one with handles so I'll have to figure that one out haha.

I think I am going to use the rest of the fabric to make some reusable snack/sandwich bags one of these days. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment