Friday, September 14, 2012

Tova time!

Since I am still plugging away at my tragic kingdom spiderwebs (is the song stuck in your head yet? You're welcome.), I thought I would share my tova tops today. I finally managed to get some pictures although as it turns out, the voile didn't photograph so well. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Way back when, I particpated in the tova-sew-along hosted by Kerry. After it was all done, thanks to some great input, I decided that I needed to go down a size. That meant that instead of jumping into the voile like I had planned, I needed another test, which was fine since I kind of love the pattern and had fabric that I had been thinking about using for another anyway. So I went down a size even though my bust measurement said I should be making the larger size, and I am happy to report that it seems to fit perfectly.

So this was the test shirt. It is some old fabric from a great grandmother's basement and there is just something about it that I love. I actually knew right away I wanted it to be a shirt.



The final version {for now} is the voile version I had been wanting since the beginning. I was a little afraid to cut into it, but it was so worth it. I even managed to line up the design across the inset/plackets and it looks so good! This may not seem that impressive, but it is not something I generally even think about, let alone manage to do without mishap. I can't help it, I'm pretty proud of myself. And as Kerry suggested in the sew along, I did a double layer of voile for the inset which worked perfectly. I did have to rip some stitches out once and it is far from perfect, but after that it came together easily and I couldn't be happier with the end result. Of course it occurs to me now that if I wear it with jeans it is a whole lot of blue, but I kinda don't care. And let me tell you, the voile is a dream to wear. It is so soft and comfy.  It was hard to photograph though, so the picture I have isn't great, but you get the idea.



I think I will be wearing this a lot this fall. I finished just in time too, it seems, since it is supposed to cool off quite a bit over the next few days. Which should make for a lovely fall weekend to go out and enjoy. We will also be braving the transition to a big girl bed, so I am hoping that goes well. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment