Monday, April 16, 2012

One Dress Down

Monday again? Already? Man these weekends go too fast. They always do though, I don't know why I'm always surprised by it. I did manage to get my kaleidoscope quilt quilted and I am super excited about it. I have already started the binding so hopefully by the end of the week it will be done and ready to reveal. Also, aside from finally getting out my wii fit (which is totally fun, by the way), I finished one of the two dresses I had started for my little one.

I don't know what came over me a week and a half ago. I just decided that my little love needed a dress. And I knew what I wanted it to look like so I traced a pattern and started cutting. And then I didn't have time to finish it and then I got lazy and figured I could do something quicker. Preferably without sleeves or a closure. So this is a super lazy dress. That I still didn't finish for over a week after I started it.


When I say lazy, I mean it. I literally took just about a half a yard of fabric folded in half, cut a neck hole, sewed the sides up to the armholes, folded under the edges and sewed them down, made an elastic casing which I sewed around the middle, threaded the elastic through, hemmed it, and voila! Overall it came out quite nice. The only problem is that I cut the neck hole too big so it kinda falls down on the shoulders a bit which you can see in one of the pictures. I did consider bias tape for finishing so I would have that extra bit of fabric instead of folding it over, but I didn't have any that matched. I am considering doing a little pleat in the center of the back to make it a bit smaller so it stays on better, but we'll see. I like it a lot though. And the fabric is some stuff that someone was getting rid of so I grabbed it, and it's not my favorite, but it looks cute on her and it was a good test. I need to see how much smaller I can make the neck and still get her head into it without adding some sort of closure.




So that's one down. Now I am going to continue avoiding the other one. One of these days I will make it. Of course by then she'll probably have grown out of it....Oh well, we'll see. On a completely random note, it is apparently supposed to be quite warm today and I am excited to go play outside. I am thinking lounging on the porch planning out some projects while the little one naps might be in order as well :) Sounds like a good way to start a week!

1 comment:

  1. Too cute! Yay- one down, one more to go! See, I knew you'd finish it. :)

    ReplyDelete