Monday, April 2, 2012

Spring {toddler} Vest

Happy April! I can't stinking believe it's April already! Is the year really 1/4 over?? I'm in a bit of shock about it. It's just so crazy! But enough of me going on about the speedy passage of time...

Not too long ago, I was browsing pinterest, as I am apt to do, and I saw this toddler vest tutorial.




So cute and it looked pretty simple so I thought I would give it a go. The only thing I bought was a zipper, everything else I had on hand, which is why it is the dotty minky, because that's what I happened to have. Also, that's why it is white because I surely never would have picked out white for my child to wear otherwise. But I am working with what I have here.


I had a few problems getting the pattern pieces to line up and although the directions say you only need 1/2 yard of fabric, I found that to be untrue, I definitely needed more. I also wasn't sure it would fit since my toddler is just growing into a 2T and this says it is a 2T/3T but it fit her just about perfectly so it must be on the smaller end. She has a little room to grow I guess, but not too much.




Since I was using quilting cotton, I used a layer of batting as suggested and then quilted it together a bit, just the 2 layers, no back or anything. I just did some random straight lines so I didn't have to worry about washing it and the batting bunching. It came together pretty easily. It was my first time sewing in a separating zipper, and it wasn't too bad. I fought with it a little, but I won so it's okay. The arm holes were the only real problem. I ended up not catching all the fabric on the underside so there were a few holes to fix when I was done, but it turned out fine. The little one loves it, mostly because there are birds on the fabric haha. Whatever makes her happy! And I love that she can pretty much get it on and off by herself. So really, I call this a win. And just in time for some spring time weather.

And now I must go prepare to fuel my granny square addiction.....

1 comment:

  1. It's SO cute! I also tend to avoid white - the rule of thumb is if your child wears white it will be stained within the hour of putting it on. Tee hee! Good job with the zipper and arm holes!

    ReplyDelete