Monday, October 29, 2012

a "new" chair

Wow, so it's Monday again. Well that just flew right by. I feel like I've been under a rock or something and can finally come up for air. Last week ended in some insanity in which my husband was gone for 3 days and I decided to do my chair makeover. But all is well. He is home and life feels normal again, and we have a lovely new chair in our office.

Let me start by saying, I have really not done much in the way of furniture makeovers. Ever. And the couple times I have tried it, it didn't go particularly well. But this time I am super happy with the results. It is not without problems of course, but I am proud of this little chair.

Last time we were visiting, I asked my in-laws if they had a chair we could have for me to redo and to replace our broken folding chair that we had been using. It turns out they had one that the cats had gotten to and really messed up the cushion.



I wanted a nice bright color and opted for spray paint, what with so many nooks an crannies. I got a super bright yellow (after I was told no aqua/turquoise) to match a lovely print I found at Joanns. It was crazy taking off the old cushion. A million or so staple later we had a look inside and saw the springs/foam/batting. After a discussion with one of the ladies at joanns, I was on my with with a pile of supplies. I think the foam I chose was a bit higher, but I can't be sure if that was because of the old one being compressed by use. It is super comfy though and you can no longer feel the springs when you sit. I had a bit of a problem when I just traced the old cushion and it was a bit small with the added height, but we made it work. I just love how it turned out. Such a happy chair!



In other news, I didn't make a halloween costume since there was no tiger fabric to be found, but it turns out that it probably doesn't matter since it is supposed to rain for the foreseeable future and this mega storm is supposed to hit up here on Wednesday. I am still working away on feathers and hope to have all the strip pieces cut out today. Then I just have to cut out a gazillion background pieces and I can start sewing :) I really want to get going on this one, but we also have visitors coming the next two weekends, so that will drag it out a bit. I also really need a new purse. One thing at a time I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment