Monday, October 15, 2012

another gift down

Happy Monday! We had a lovely weekend around here. Yesterday was incredibly beautiful and we made it out to one of the farms around here and my little love got to go on her first horse ride, eat delicious cinnamon buns, and play with pumpkins and dirt. Good times all around. Hopefully we'll get to go enjoy the weather a bit more before it gets cold again.

This weekend I also managed to finish up another gift. I made my father-in-law a new carry on bag, which he will hopefully like and use (I was told that he needed one....). I used the getaway duffle bag pattern, which is the same one I used back in March when I made one for myself. I made it pretty much the same as the one for me except I ditched the inside pockets and jumped on the bandwagon and quilted the outside instead of using interfacing.



I had a horrible time with the interfacing on the first one and while it was pretty nice when it was done, this one was much easier to sew and I like the end result even better. I used a bottomweight black fabric from Joanns for the outer and quilted it to a layer of batting and a layer of stiff outdoor fabric. It was a pretty cheap and easy solution. I also added some tabs at the ends to make the zipper easier to use and remembered to put piping on the ends too. I just did straight line quilting using the edge of my walking foot as a guide so it is pretty dense, adding to the structure.




The lining is a mickey mouse fabric (also from Joanns) because he loves mickey, and disney really. I did a little running stitch on the ends to keep the lining attached so it doesn't fall into itself and it worked well. I love that the bag is softer but still holds its shape with the quilting. Really I just kind of love it and I hope he does too. I never can be sure with him, but hopefully it will get a lot of use.  Maybe I'll make a little toiletry bay to go with it out of the leftovers, but I haven't decided yet.




Now I am working my way through a set of napkins. Then a pillow cover I think. I don't know, I'll decide when I get to it. One thing at a time.

1 comment:

  1. The bag is wonderful. I particularly love the Mickey Mouse lining.

    ReplyDelete