Friday, July 15, 2011

Skill Builder Sampler: Month 1

The first month of the Skill Builder Sampler, hosted by Lelia of Sewn, is finished. And I am all caught up on my blocks!

First up was a log cabin or courthouse steps block. After making an entire quilt of log cabins, I opted to make the courthouse steps since I have never made one before. I love how it came out, and the fussy cut snail in the center just makes me happy :)

The second block was a nine patch. I actually wasn't thrilled with this block, but it came out okay. If I did it again I would probably make sure my tan fabrics were more similar and not so light/dark to make those lines a bit more obvious. As long as it looks good with the other blocks it's all good.


Third was a churn dash, another block I had never made before. I struggled with fabric choices but in the end, I am really happy with my choices. I love the floral background and solid design instead of the other way around. And I even like the more subdued colors, which is weird since I generally tend to gravitate toward more bright, saturated colors.

Finally, a challenge was issued for the final week. We had to break out the graph paper and design a block. It took me all week to land on something that I liked. Everything I drew ended up involving a whole block of HSTs which I was just not feeling after the christmas quilt I just finished. In the end I went for super simple and started messing with the idea of some smaller log cabins. I ended up with a cross block, which I had been wanting to try. I even managed to keep the directional prints the right direction! Two of the log cabins are reversed so that I could keep the longer pieces in the middle.

And here they are all together. I think they go together really nicely and I've used each of my 12 fabrics at least once.


I love it so far and I can't wait to see what blocks are next. Only 33 more blocks to go! This is definitely a fun project :)

No comments:

Post a Comment