Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Summer Sampler Series - Week 3

What a weekend! We traveled down to see our families for my sister's graduation party (that ended up not happening) this past weekend and it was crazy. And good. And tired. And I sure missed my sewing time! And even though I brought my hexies to work on, I ended up starting a crochet blanket instead. Oops :) It sure is pretty so far, although who knows how long it will take me to finish it. I think crochet is my new favorite car craft, easier than a little sewing needle and my elbows don't hit the car door like knitting. Anyway, moving on.

So I spent today trying to get myself organized and catch up on everything. The only thing I actually managed to complete was my 9th block for the summer sampler so I am caught up through last week :) I'm not sure why it took me all day to do this, I think I was just being easily distracted. Somehow it takes me a while to get back in the swing of things after traveling. But it is done, and I am really happy with how this blanket is shaping up so far.

Block #7 - Six Pointed String Star

I love, love, love the way this came out. It may be my favorite. It looks so cool! I did the strip piecing and used 2 - 1.5" strips and 1- 2" strip per triangle (to cover the larger seam allowance at the point) and it came out perfect. You can really see the hexagons it forms. I kinda wish I'd done wonky ones, but this looks so nice and now I know how for another time :)

Block #8 - Lucky Pieces

This is so not my favorite block. I think it is partly the fabrics I used, but for whatever reason, I just don't love it. Maybe if it was more like the one that Rachel at Stitched in Color did....but anyway, it looks good with the others.

Block #9 - Minnesota block

This one is growing on me. I like it more the more I look at it, but again, not a favorite. I really wanted another block with a color background since the star block has a green/blue one, and it seemed a good idea to make one pink and yellow. I think I need one more with a colorful background for balance, so I will have to remember that this week. The only thing annoying me about this one is that I had wanted to do the hour glass squares alternating, but somewhere along the line I switched them. I like it though and I'm not worried enough to rip it out.

And here are all 9 together. I can't wait to add the last 3! I am already working on the Monday block this week! I love this quilt so far, I think maybe I'll go pick up some sashing this week.


And now I'm off to continue playing catch-up. I have a skill builder block to do, some FW blocks, the next block for this and I am hoping to start cutting some swoon blocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment