Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Birthday Gifts Part II: for my sister

As I mentioned, in addition to the set of make-up bags for my mom, I also made a birthday gift for my sister whose birthday is later this month.

I got the idea from the Travel Handmade series. Jeni of In Color Order reviewed simplicity pattern 2274 for a duffle bag and I loved it. It looked simple enough and I thought it might make a good gym bag. As it turns out it is way to big for a gym bag, but it should be good for weekend trips anyway. I used some fabric I got at a LQS during their tent sale for $1.71 and lined it with a linen blend. I did straight line quilting instead of the wavy lines in the pattern and it worked really well with the plaid fabric. I really didn't have any problems following the pattern and I am very much looking forward to making one for myself!




I really like the pleated zip pocket on the end, and it was so much easier to make than I thought it would be. My sister loves it, especially the pink handles. I do wish it held its shape a bit better on its own, I don't know, maybe the fabrics are too lightweight. But it still works. I am hoping to make myself one before all the holiday traveling beings, but we'll see. I like the idea of something so big and soft since it should be easier to just shove wherever we can fit it in the car :)

No comments:

Post a Comment