Thursday, September 8, 2011

Skill Builder Sampler: Month 3

3 months and 9 blocks down! We are 1/4 of the way through this quilt along. This month was all about flying geese. We practiced 3 ways of making them (I'm partial to the magic way myself) and I feel like I am actually a lot better at making them now. They are certainly less wonky then in the past and I am not so scared of them. So I consider that a raging success :) Anyway, the roundup of blocks for the month

Block #7- Virginia Star. This is a block that was a part of the Summer Sampler Series. It was actually kinda nice to make it again and this one came out much better. I don't love the fabric choices (too much boring tan! :-P), but it should be a nice addition to the overall quilt.


Block #8- Breaking Out. This block was so much fun! I love the cool pinwheel it makes. It is the kind of block I would have never made on my own before this, but I really love it.

Block #9 - Double Star. I did this one a bit differently than instructed as far as fabric choices go and I love the result. Really I just love everything about it. I am so happy I decided to just go with two colors and a white background. I did have a bit of a mishap where I spaced and forgot to iron after the first step in the magic method of flying geese, so I did have to rip half of each goose off, iron, and sew them back on, but it worked out fine.



So that is it for this month of skill building. I feel like I've got the hang of flying geese now and I'm looking forward to this next month. It actually made me really want to make some sort of star quilt so I might just go ahead and add that to the list....

No comments:

Post a Comment