Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A pretty little embroidery bag

So I mentioned briefly in my WIP wednesday post last week that I had won a FW block from Melinda over at quirky granola girl. She made it and hated it and asked if anyone wanted to provide a good home for it and I jumped at the chance. I got lucky and my name was drawn and not long after a pretty little block arrived in my mailbox :)

I had been pondering what to do with it when it came to me. One of the things on my {very long} to-do list is the Embroidery 101 QAL over at Clover and Violet. I don't know when I'll get to it (or what fabric I'll use or anything like that), but it is something I really want to do when I get the chance. In preparation, I decided I will be needing somewhere to store it as I work on it.


Enter this nice little emboridery bag. Really I suppose it could be used for anything, but that was what I had in mind when I made it so I'm going to go with it. The bag finishes at about 9" square which I figure will be good for the 7" hoop I have.

I wanted to keep the block on point because....well I like it that way. It feels more balanced. Or something. I immediately decided it needed a darker gray around it (I do so love that color these days) and I even had a turquoise zipper. The only hold up was that I needed a lining fabric to go with it. I finally got out and got one that goes really well and whipped it up the other day.


Melinda was nice enough to send a little bit of the tree fabric with the block (thank you!!!) and that got turned into a panel on the back pocket. I figured a pocket is always nice and in this case I am sure I could keep my scissors and such in there. I ended up using velcro instead of a zipper for the pocket, but I think that will work out just fine.



I did add a layer of batting and quilt it a bit, on the front just outlining the square and some straight lines on the back. I like the sturdiness that gives it. I really love the way it came out! Now I kinda can't wait to use it! But I might have to wait until my hexies are done so this can be my next car project....which means I should work on them ha! Anyway, thank you Melinda, for sending a beautiful block!

1 comment:

  1. awwww...what a sweet post. and what an extra sweet little embroidery bag. you did a great job with it. i love that block now that it is in your hands :)

    ReplyDelete