Monday, October 3, 2011

Thank you gifts

Not only are the thank you gifts I've been working on done, but they are delivered and loved :) That means it is time for a few more pictures!

These gifts went to two great people that are in my husbands department and who have regularly watched our cat for us when we've gone out of town. We appreciate it so much (since dragging a cat 3.5 hours in the car to go stay in a house with two other cats and a dog is not ideal) and I've been thinking for a while now that I needed to make some little things to thank them. I had seen a potholder ages ago that was like lined notebook paper with writing embroidered on it and thought that would be nice, and finally I decided that a nice clutch would be perfect. So the little zip gray/yellow clutch went to her. I am happy to report she really loved both. The potholder was made using this tutorial. It came out alright, but far from perfect. The little bit of embroidery is my favorite part.







It is always a bit more difficult to figure out what to make for a guy. But one day I got it into my head that I wanted to make a moustache quilt, and he was the only person I could think of that might appreciate it. Of course to make it more manly it had to be made with plaid (he is totally a moustache and plaid kinda guy). This mini quilt measures 24" x 24" and I attached the letters with some heat 'n bond that I ran through my silhouette machine (love that thing!) and then zigzagged the letters and moustache to the batting before sandwiching it and binding it. I didn't really quilt all 3 layers together but I'm not too worried. The back is leftover plaid pieces as is the binding, and I put some hanger things on the back in case he wants to use them to hang it up. I kind of love it and it continues to crack me up. Obviously I am pretty easily amused.




So there you have it. I love making things for gifts and really, who would have ever thought I would get to make a mini quilt with a moustache on it! And now, I must go organize myself for this week and figure out what the heck I am doing. I finally go to start binding my swoon last night, but other than that, I need to figure out what is next and doesn't require a trip to the fabric store at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment