Thursday, December 1, 2011

Cathedral Windows

As you may or may not have seen yesterday, my cathedral windows couch pillow is done! It was a much longer project than I intended. I didn't take into account how much longer it would take me to sew through so many layers.

Cathedral windows are something I had been wanting to try for ages. I didn't want to commit to a whole quilt though, and as it turns out, that was a good plan since I probably would never have finished a quilt. I used this tutorial and ended up with an 18" square pillow (more like 17.5", but that's okay). Since the pillow form I was putting it on, the ugly one that came with the couch, was more like 20" I decided that instead of a border, I would add a strip and make the back the same size as the front panel. It worked out surprisingly well.

I didn't really like making the cathedral windows although they sure do look cool. I think the big problem is really that my points sucked so things are not as crisp as they should be so it looks kinda messy. And my hand sewing leaves something to be desired....I just keep telling myself that it is quirky and quirky is cool. In any case, I am happy to have it done and on the couch :) Eventually maybe I'll make a new cover for the other pillow....I'm thinking maybe something a bit different.


  1. I think your new Cathedral Windows pillow looks wonderful! The backing envelope looks great too. :)

  2. It looks great! I've never tried a cathedral window before (mostly because it looked like a lot of work and I'm not a big hand sewer). I'm impressed.