Monday, December 19, 2011

A home for my laptop

At least while it's traveling :)

I thought I'd pop in and say hi! We are off on our holiday travels and having quite the time. So far so good, we'll see how we hold up for another week though. I miss my sewing machine already. On the plus side, without my sewing machine I have been doing more knitting and reading and holiday movie watching.

I thought I would share some of the non-gift items I made during my mad dash last week. I know it hasn't been very long since I made my laptop sleeve. But then we traveled over thanksgiving. And I realized I have absolutely no bags that are wide enough at the top to fit my laptop in. So naturally I had to make one :) I picked up the outer fabric at Ikea and I love it. I didn't get quite enough of the lining, but I made it work with what I had plus a little extra solid gray for the inside of the pocket.



I used this tutorial which I had pinned a while ago. It is a pretty vague tutorial and I had to read it a few times before I figured it all out, but it came out well. I had to enlarge the laptop pocket since I have a 15" laptop, and I had a little trouble doing it; I just wasn't sure how big to make the foam pieces. It ended up a bit snug, but I figure that just makes it more secure. I wasn't sure where exactly I was supposed to stitch at some points, so it looks a little odd in some places, like where the handles are attached to the bag. I also had some trouble at the end with putting the foam in the bottom of the bag, partly due to the aforementioned trouble with the laptop pocket size. But I made it work and it is a nice roomy bag that so far has been great for traveling.

I'll be back Wednesday for the final holiday edition of the WIPs. Hope everyone has a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment